Home Sweet Oakley

posted on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I spent the Fourth of July weekend at Nana's home in sweet Oakley, Idaho with my mom, sisters and brother-in-law. We did what we always do in Oakley, wandered around looking for great photo ops, and it was as charming as usual. We even hit up the local pool, and although Lyndsey was the only one there in a bikini (Shelbs and I are smart), we still had fun playing "tea party" and dunking each other amid all the stares from the local families.



Mama got lost in Nana's yard, a task that Nana was always so good at and loved dearly. It was good for her to have time to garden, and great for us too. I worked hard trimming down the hedges and basking in the sun. Sweetie even came along to help!





We've been lucky to be able to spend so much time in Oakley. It truly is one of my very favorite places. The Oakley home was built in 1896 by my Great-Great-Grandfather, Hector Caleb Haight, and it is among many historical sites in Oakley's historical town. Nana did such a beautiful job with this house. She truly turned it into a home. Decorating the walls are pictures of our ancestors and the home really is filled with the sweetest feeling.







It was a wonderful weekend spent together remembering our sweet Nana and feeling close to  she and our ancestors. I reflected on my life and the lives of those who have come before me and I am striving to live a good life spent with the people I love dearly. I'm grateful for such a strong family history and for the great individuals who have made our family so wonderful. Being the Fourth of July weekend, I also had time to feel grateful for the place that I live and the beauty that surrounds me. Lucky me!




Lovingly,

Kaites


0 comments:

Post a Comment





Downtown on Main All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger