Pride 2013

posted on: Monday, June 3, 2013

IMG_9252
There's a beautiful thing that happens here in Salt Lake City at the start of each summer. It's an entire colorful weekend dedicated to equal rights and the LGBTQ community which believe it or not, rooted in this religious mecca, happens to be quite a large community. And it's wonderful. It's a weekend of sparkle, and dazzle, and glitter, and tutus, and bright colors of the rainbow and most importantly, love. True unbiased love combined with a feeling of "togetherness" unlike any other.
It was amazing to see so many people gathered together  (on a Sunday in Utah, of all days!) for the same cause. Respect. Because in the end, it really doesn't actually matter who loves who and how, so long as we're able to stand united in respect for one another.
IMG_9278IMG_9176
(Okay, but seriously, is that my Dad up there?!?)
IMG_9189IMG_9192IMG_9056IMG_9093IMG_9096IMG_9110IMG_9119IMG_9121IMG_9138IMG_9204IMG_9206IMG_9207IMG_9221IMG_9233IMG_9284IMG_9290

5 comments:

  1. You know, I really appreciate this post. I've never been to a pride event before (if you don't count witnessing the unofficial "Gay Days" at Disney) and while I've always respected the thought behind them, I've always thought that from what I had seen, they've been executed without much taste (again, this is through photos I've seen). The extreme nature of the event as I have seen it has really kept me from wanting to participate.

    What I love about these photos is that it is a reflection of what the event is supposed to be about, in my eyes. Just people coming together, accepting one another, having a good time, and that's so beautiful. I like that this event looked inclusive of all: straight or LGBTQ, children or adults, families or independent adults. That's something that I've felt is lacking in the events that I've seen and if more pride parades were like this, I think more of the "mainstream" population would be willing to attend and participate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go to one before you assume what they are about. This is pretty much the same as any other pride parade. I've been to many across the country.

      Delete
    2. Well, not to argue or anything, but my assumptions aren't based from imagination alone -- but from video and photos of ones that my friends have attended. I'm not saying that each event is like the snapshots that I've seen or that the whole event is about that, but I'm also not making uninformed assumptions either. And I think that should be clarified.

      Delete
  2. Great photos! I can't wait to go to the next pride parade in my town! I almost forgot it's that time of year again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What awesome photos and event. I feel like I was there!

    ReplyDelete





Downtown on Main All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger