face to face

posted on: Monday, July 9, 2012

skin edition

I’m not sure that anyone really gives a hoot about my skincare routine, but I’ll have you know that I’ve actually put some good love, thought and trial into what now is the simplest skincare routine on the planet, except for no skincare routine of course, but that’s just no fun at all now is it? I’m almost (as in, not yet) heading into my third decade of life, which means my skin is too, and since my skin is actually quite important, it’s been equally as important to me to find a good, clean and simple daily skincare routine.

I’m an easy going kinda girl. I like simplicity and I like things to be fast yet efficient. Long ago, a dermatologist recommended the Dove Beauty Bar as the only face cleanser I’d ever need. Like a true teenager, it went in one ear and out the other and I don’t think I even gave it a try. If I didn’t feel my skin burning from some sort of acid, you know the stuff with the name I still can’t pronounce, it wasn’t going to work, right? These days, my adult self regards this piece of advice as true wisdom from the heaven’s above, and I’ll probably never use anything but. I use the pink Dove bar every day, mostly because it’s pink and partly because it’s extra moisturizing, which just ends up being an added bonus.

Now friends, Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar (with the ‘mother’!) is pretty much the bomb dot com. It’s like waaay awesome for you and it’s full of all kinds of crazy health benefits from weight loss to healthy digestion to muscle relief. It pretty much solves almost all problems except money ones. Dang it. My granola-loving-hippie-at-heart mother swears by it and has tossed back of shot of the stuff everyday for almost as long as I can remember. Which is probably one of the reasons she’s going to outlive everyone I know.  I’ve tried drinking it, and yes, the stuff is nastay, so instead I use it on my face. I dilute it with water (50/50) and everyday after washing I dip a cotton ball into my acv jar and rub the stuff all over. Honey LOVES it. Okay, he really doesn’t. I smell like a salad for 15 whole minutes and I’ve attracted every fruit fly on the block by the end of it, but it’s totally worth the glow. I’ve noticed quite the difference actually. My skin is more evenly toned and breakouts don’t really exist anymore. Plus something about using natural kitchen ingredients on my face just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Pond's Dry Skin Cream is the moisturizer I use to finish it all off. I always use moisturizer. Day and night. And on nights when I’m too tired to wash my face, because uhhh, that never happens (yea right), I wipe it clean with Simple Face Wipes, the exfoliating kind, then lather on the good old moisturizer. “I really love when my face is dry,” said absolutely no one ever.

Now for the magical secret. A friend turned me on to the amazing Aztec Healing Clay and I just can’t seem to thank her enough (thanks J Babe!). Once a week, I mix this bad boy up with some apple cider vinegar (see, I told you it’s a miracle worker that acv is), then I smudge it all over my face. It’s not a pretty sight, but one I’m willing to put up with for twenty minutes because the end result is sooo smooth, soft and spectacular. I love this stuff. It literally sucks everything out and I mean everything. *Side story: I used it for a few weeks on a cyst Honey had on his back (he’s really glad I’m telling this story). We’re talking at least 2 years old this cyst was. HOLY MOLY! It worked wonders. Like incredible magical wonders! And yes, eventually that cyst surfaced, and if you’re a complete weirdo like me and you find a sick and odd pleasure in that pimple picking kind of stuff, then I’m telling you right now, it was everything you could ever dream of. I should’ve videotaped it. Okay, I disgust myself. Apologies.* Anyway, the clay is so totally worth the 8-9 buckaroos. Just trust me on this one and thank me later.

And that’s it! That’s what’s on my face. It’s simple, it’s natural and it works. I never thought I could write such a long blog post about my skincare routine, but it was actually kind of fun! Do you have any skincare regimens or products that you swear by? Anything I’ve GOT to try?!

xoxo,

Kait

8 comments:

  1. Everything you've listed truly does work MIRACLES!! The only other beauty wonder I think is a 'must-try' is Oil of Olay regenerist micro sculpting cream - it really is a miracle worker! Yes, it can be pricey, but it's worth every cent! Your skin pretty much rebuilds itself, like we're talking new collagen rebuilds itself. Your skin becomes even-toned and literally glows, and it smells lovely! Just give it a week or so and you'll notice the difference, you really won't even need make-up your skin looks THAT good - seriously worth the dough. If you really are willing to spend the big bucks another great product is anything made by Strivectin, their under eye cream is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lou! Oil of Olay Regenerist Micro Sculpting Cream. That's quite the mouthful! But if it really works miracles like you say it does, perhaps I'll need to save my pennies and give it a shot! Plus, I love anything that rids me of a need for makeup! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing post :)
    your blog is awesome!

    http://bubblemylicorice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to hear about all of these...my poor skin is very sensitive, and I'm recently recovering from a skin-care-reaction breakout (soooo not attractive). So I'm back into the land of gentle, and I've heard that clay is so good for you, but had no idea where to start in choosing a brand to try. I guess I'll start with Aztec! I love pure rosewater as a toner. So fresh, still natural, and might make your face smell like a garden instead of a salad! Ha! I have heard great things about the virtues of cider vinegar though, and now you've got me curious again... Hope you have a lovely day! Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, I've battled with sensitive skin too! You poor thing! Definitely look into the clay! You can mix it with water instead of acv, and it's much easier on your skin. I've read that a lot of people will start off mixing the clay with water and then working up to mixing with acv. Good luck! I'm definitely going to check out the rosewater toner! Sounds (and probably smells) delightful! Thanks for stopping by. It's so nice to "meet" you too! xoxo

      Delete
  5. I've actually heard of Apple Cider Vinegar but I had no idea it could be used for skin care! Craaaazy. Thank you for the advice. I honestly am going to stock up on the stuff you recommended next trip to Target. Have a great week doll!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Do it! There are ALL KINDS of uses for acv on the good ol' www. My Mama really does swear by it and uses it everyday. It's funny, I used to think she was such a crazy "hippie" and now I find myself doing the exact same things that used to make me think she was wacky in the first place! Haha. xoxo

      Delete





Downtown on Main All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger