the week my dog died and i lost my iphone

posted on: Thursday, June 14, 2012

IMG_4248

I know, rough, right?

Don’t worry, I’m not here to grovel and complain… after this paragraph. But I mean, come on, my iphone too? Perhaps it’s a lesson in life. A lesson about paying more attention to the important things. As if instagram isn’t important *eye roll* Ugh.  This week, you suck. Next week, you’d better shine.

A few days without my phone might actually be good for me. I admit I can be pretty consumed by that pretty lil thing. But for all the right reasons of course! Reasons like documenting the beauties of everyday life and staying in touch with my favorite celebrities family and friends. Nonetheless, I do find myself looking down into my palm a lot (a lot). And not looking up so much. So, this week, this, “are you over yet?” kind of week, is going to be finished while looking up. Literally. Figuratively too.

In an age where stuff didn’t really happen unless there’s a picture, or at the very least, a facebook and/or twitter post about it, it’s easy to forget and overlook the beauty of simplicity. And the sweet sound of silence. In fact, it’s funny this should happen now because over the last few weeks I’ve gradually been learning and reading more about minimalism and purging life of the unnecessary. I’ve been trying to simplify life a bit by de-cluttering, getting rid of the old and improving our small space. Unfortunately for Honey, my iphone is actually quite necessary, but I’m not afraid to take a little pause from it to smell the flowers while I patiently wait for my replacement. And in between smelling the flowers, I’m going to continue ridding my teeny tiny apartment of everything we don’t really need. Like, everything. In fact it’s not even 10:30 AM and I’ve already rummaged through my closet, listed a few dresses on ebay, and filled four garbage bags full of more clothes to donate. Four! If I had my iphone, I totally would’ve instagrammed it. Proof it really happened, ya know!?

So I guess the moral of this post is to hug your iphone tighter tonight. Or your dog. Or both. Or maybe the lesson to be learned is to look up more often. Or to clean your room. Or to come over to my house if you’re in need of some hand-me-downs or extra pots and pans. Whatever it is, consider it learned and let’s just please get movin’ on to next week (which btw, will be spent in Yellowstone, so see what I mean? Let’s get on with it already!)

xo,

Kait

2 comments:

  1. I lost my childhood dog recently. Definitely a time for sorrow and cake-eating. Go have some cake ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Christine, I had 3/4 of a tray of brownies! That counts, right? I'm so sorry for your recent loss as well. Our pets hold such sweet places in our hearts, don't they? I just consider myself so lucky to have had such a special one. xo

      Delete





Downtown on Main All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger