why i'm giving up on to-do lists

posted on: Sunday, April 29, 2012

It used to be I loved making lists because of the pure satisfaction I’d get from crossing my completed tasks off, but lately it seems my lists keep growing faster than I can actually draw that beautiful line through each ‘to-do’. And suddenly, I’m beginning to feel more overwhelmed than ever before and I’m growing to despise the lists that once made me feel so productive and on top. I spend more time these days writing down all that I need to get done than I actually spend getting said things done. It’s like, just thinking about all of it exhausts me and requires a nap. So, I’ve got to figure out how to fix this. If my lists are failing me (I know, it’s not my lists it’s me, but just go with it) then I obviously need to find a way to push myself to make the most of my time. Honey says I need to, “just do it” (gee, I wonder where he heard that one). He’s right though. I need to just get off my butt and do it, but without my lists how am I to know what I’m supposed to do? This is a serious problem peeps. So, I’ve come up with a plan. I don’t know if it’s going to be successful, but at this point, I’ve got nothing to lose.

It’s called, wait for it… a schedule. *gasp* A what?!

That’s right, I am placing myself on a strict schedule. I have a real bedtime, no longer a tentative one. And get this, I’m actually going to try really really super hard to wake up before 9:30 am. Oh, early mornings! We’re not friends, but we’re about to be! And another thing, I’m turning the clock back to 1990 and holding myself accountable for my household duties by utilizing a chore chart. Remember those?! A chore chart! Complete with gold stars and weekend rewards like candy and quarters even! AND I’m exercising. Regularly. Not just thinking about it. I’m doing it. Bring on those endorphins! Heaven knows I could use a major dose of those bad boys.

I know what you’re thinking. “Really, Kait? You can’t just handle your business like a real grown up?” And the truth is, no. For some odd reason, lately, I just can’t. I NEED those gold stars and that early bedtime. I need that schedule and that specified treadmill time. Some people can do it on their own, without a chore chart to answer to at the end of each week, but me, I’m so easily distracted by all of the things I WANT to do like catching up on every episode of Downton Abbey and showing off my Draw Something skills or stalking my friends on Facebook. So balance, here I come. And ‘to-do’ lists, bite me. And tomorrow, you better watch out, because I’m about to schedule the crap outta you and start handling some damn business.  

xo,

Kait the (soon-to-be) Greathustle

7 comments:

  1. Good job girl!!! And that's awesome about your kiwi dad... they really are the greatest people on Earth. I'm so glad you found me I can't wait to be blog friends!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a great idea!! I used to use a chore chart for house stuff...and then I stopped and I never do it anymore. I need to get back on it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems silly to have a chore chart as an adult but they definitely still serve their purpose :)

      Delete
  3. I think thats great! you need to do what you need to do! i go to bed very early as well. sleep is SO important to a productive day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleep really is so important to me! I can be so grumpy when I'm lacking it. Oh, I just wish I could manipulate time. I'm such a night owl, early bedtimes aren't always so fun!

      Delete
  4. PS - that hustle image is hilarious. I want to print it and frame it and put it in my bathroom so I can see it every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny!? And it's seriously motivating. Everyone wants to be a hustla!

      Delete





Downtown on Main All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger