Cuz I Love You

posted on: Tuesday, November 15, 2011

ON THE FIFTEENTH DAY OF NOVEMBER
Fourth grade was the year I learned I could actually pick my own friends. 
Really. 
It wasn't because I'd had a shortage of sleepovers, or late night playdates, or lunches at the park, or friends for that matter, fourth grade is just the year I learned that I actually had a say in who those friends were.

Before then, I just thought all my friends came from my Aunties and Uncles.

Here's the thing - I don't even know how many cousins I have. I could figure it out with a calculator and pad of paper, but let's just go ahead and agree that I have A LOT of cousins. And yes, I'm totally talking about my FIRST cousins. As in, same. two. grandparents. (Okay, fine, if you want an estimate, the total number of my first cousins would probably land somewhere in the 60's, maybe 70's, range. And there's still room to grow.)

Moving on...
The first years of my life were literally spent with my cousins. I didn't know I could have other friends because I didn't need them yet. I did everything other kids did with their friends, I just did them with my cousins. My cousins were even my babysitters, okay?
And it was totally cool. 

Today, I'm so thankful for my cousins. The old, the young and the really young. The ugly and the beautiful. The smart and the not-so-smart. You all know who you are. I love you all. 

I am so thankful for ALL of my friendships. I'm so thankful for the ones that I 'learned' to make after fourth grade. I've made really great choices. But, I'm especially thankful for the ones that I didn't have to make, the friends that were just given to me whether I liked it or not. Turns out, luck was on my side, and I'm really glad you're mine.

Arohanui,
Kaitlyn Marie

**If YOU are my cousin and you are not featured in the below collages (yes, I made two because, once again, we should hold our family reunions in football stadiums), don't be offended. I know you are my cousin and I love you just the same, you just probably look bad in all our pictures. hehe**


0 comments:

Post a Comment





Downtown on Main All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger