My Father’s Daughter // Soldiers Rd Portraits

posted on: Monday, December 15, 2014

IMG_7510

IMG_7509

 

I had an opportunity recently to have my portrait taken by Soldiers Rd Portraits, two beautiful women from New Zealand who specialize in vintage traditional Maori portraits. To call this a special experience would be quite an understatement. You see, my Maori culture is something that I have always held so closely in my heart and cherished. Maori is a part of who I am – my make up – but as an American child born to interracial parents, I would be lying if I said that Maori has always been how I’ve felt.

On the day I had my portrait taken, I snuck away to the bathroom to have a look at myself alone for a bit. It was a sweet moment in which I thought about my grandmother and the beautiful traditional Maori portrait of her I’ve grown up admiring. I wondered if anyone would think I looked like her. In true form, I let a few tears fall as I admired the ta moko on my chin and the piupiu draped across my shoulder. For the very first time in my life, I KNEW the Maori girl staring back at me. I’ll never forget that quiet moment.

Today I received this finished portrait from Soldiers Rd. I immediately recognized myself, of course, but to my surprise I immediately caught a glimpse of my father too. I’ve been told all my life that I look “soooo much like my mother”, and I’m proud of that, my mother is the most beautiful woman I know. But today was a sweet reminder that I am also my father’s daughter - a part of him - and he has given me beautiful reasons to be proud of that too.

IMG_0013

Photo Credit: Soldiers Rd Portraits

2 comments:

  1. You have such a beautiful way of sharing your experiences through words. You look absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, my sweet girl! What you wrote...and YOU!!

    ReplyDelete





Downtown on Main All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger